Monday, December 1, 2008


I know this is a little late by date standards, but I wanted to post and say we have so much to be thankful for this year. We are blessed to have wonderful and supportive family, lots of great friends, and most of all a forgiving and loving God.

We had a wonderful time with my parents and sisters last week and throughout the weekend. A ton of awesome meals and desserts, great bargain shopping, afternoons of resting and watching football... Go Huskers!

Everything was really great until Saturday. Hudson woke up a little cranky and feverish, but I just chalked it up to teething. I gave him some Tylenol and put him down for a nap. When we woke him up several hours later, his cheeks were bright red and he had a major temperature. My Mom and I put him in the bathtub for a bath to bring down his temp and gave him some more medicine. He ate a great dinner with us, but afterwards was really tired and his temp was back. He was shivering really bad, so we wrapped him in a blanket and were watching some TV when he became lethargic. My Mom was holding him, So I got up to call the Ask-A-Nurse and just as I was dialing, my Mom yelled that he was having a seizure. It was the worst thing to watch. It only lasted a little while, but I panicked horribly, my sister called 911 as Lee ran to our neighbors house (she is a nurse). When the paramedics came, Huddy was just really lethargic, like he had no energy left in him, it's hard to explain. They said he should go in to the ER just to get checked out, but that we should just take him. They said they could take him, but that it would be an expensive "cab ride". Lee and I both agreed that we needed to have him checked out, so we took him in. He was looking around in the car, and pretty alert, but still had a temperature. The doctor explained that this happened not because his temperature was high, but because of how fast it spiked, and that your nervous system can't handle it. They checked him out really good and gave him Motrin, and took a chest xray (apparently some kind of respiratory illness in kids is going around). Anyway, he was much better by the time we got home, so we skipped church on Sunday, because we all were sleeping in to make up for the really late night we had. The next day he was better, but after nap time, his fever spiked again and started having the chills really bad. We got him back on the medicine schedule, but at midnight he had a fever of 105.2, the highest ever since this started on Saturday. Thank GOD, his fever finally broke around 6:30 this morning (Monday), and I know this because he was sleeping next to me and I didn't get any sleep because I was so worried about him. I took him in to our regular pediatrician, she ran a bunch of blood work, strep test and poked around on him for a while. She diagnosed him with Roseola. It s a virus that causes, high fevers for 3- 7 days, possible seizures and rash after the fever breaks. Which he fits all the symptoms, except for the red rash. Nothing yet...
He was MUCH better today!! NO fever all day, just clingy and wanting to snuggle. He was actually playing around with Carter after dinner and wrestled with Lee when he got home from work. I am praying that tomorrow is even better than today. He should only get this once in his lifetime, so that is a comforting thought, but we shall see! Only God knows!!
I do have to say that we had the most wonderful, knowledgeable, paramedics, nurses, doctors, and staff that we couldn't have asked for better! We are so thankful Hudson is getting better, and for my parents and sister that stayed with Carter so Lee and I both could be with Hudson.


Andy and Julie said...

Wow scary stuff. Hopefully he's almost done with the fevers. I'll be praying for all of you guys. I know how scary this can all be.

The Sneaky Mommy said...

I'm am so sorry! We'll be praying he'll get completely well and that no one else will catch it! Call if you need anything!